Fitness Blog IconInstagram-Logo-1indexj]blog-lovin-icon_zpsbf482c6a

Features

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Item of the Week 012

My Pandora bracelet is very special and meaningful to me and I am surprised I haven't posted it here before. Almost four years ago, for my high school graduation and formal, Rydog bought me the Pandora bracelet with a cat, present and flower charm. We had only been going out for a short time so I was very surprised to receive such a generous and beautiful gift particularly at such an early stage of the relationship. In the years since then I have accumulated a number of different charms, primarily from Rydog and my mother in law, which hold sentimental value to fill the bracelet. For example, I received the teacup to remind me of Nana after she died, the graduation hat after completing my first year at university, the shoe to represent my obsession with shoes and the 'I' for my name. I used to wear it every day but now I save it for special occassions in order to maintain the quality.

P1000407

P1000418

In addition to the sentimental value of each individual charm this bracelet reminds me of one of the most significant and memorable times of my life which was when I finished school and entered into a relationship with Rydog. I have written about this a number of times before, most recently here and it is a time that I remember with extreme clarity. It was a year of mixed emotions and a myriad of changes and it was also one of the hardest years of my life as I pushed myself to achieve high results and gain entry into my law and commerce degree. It was also one of the most rewarding times of my life when I consider my achievements and I have never felt such a high degree of self satisfaction as I did after I finished school. Now I look back, I admire so many qualities I had back then which I don't believe I possess anymore. I have generally felt that I haven't lived up to my potential and expectations and I miss the respect and admiration that I commanded everywhere I went. I miss that high school girl that I was back in 2007. This bracelet reminds me of who I used to be.

I know that a number of you have told me to focus on the positive aspects of my life now and that we often remember the past more favourably than it actually was and I greatly appreciate these comments. I just think it is only natural to focus on the past and favourable times in our lives. I am gradually moving on...

Rydog

It is interesting for me to look back on the night I received this bracelet because it marks the start of an era. It was the night that Rydog and I publicly announced that we were dating and the first night I ever went out with my future parents in law for post formal celebrations. I look back at the immense number of times that I have been out with them ever since and how Rydog and I have progressed to the point of being engaged. It was also the first time I had ever been to a night club, experienced a proper night out in the city and taken a long walk on the beach in the middle of the night. It was very beautiful and one of the most enjoyable nights I have ever had. However, I also remember feeling extremely conflicted. I had a number of simple but different experiences that night . It was a change from my normal academic, innocent, goody goody and sheltered life and I remember desperately wanting to break away from that lifestyle but knowing that I would have to wait another two months until my final exams were over.

6 comments:

Jennifer Fabulous said...

I like how a post about a beautiful bracelet can lead to such an amazing, nostalgic story. This was very well-written, Imogen, and very heart-felt.

First, I love the bracelet. It is beautiful and I adore the fact that it holds such sentimental value because you have charms from all the various aspects of your grown up life. It's almost like wearing a photo album on your wrist! :D

I'm a firm believer that you still bring a part of that girl from 2007 back into your life. It will just take time and it will have to happen naturally. You've been going through SO MANY changes and life-altering experiences that right now, it's influencing your personality and characteristics. You have to wait for the storm to pass in order for the waters to calm again. (That is a terrible analogy, but you get what I mean, right?). In other words, you haven't lost that girl, she's just hiding amidst the chaos.

I love that old photo of you and Rydog together. Was your hair darker then or is it the lighting? Either way, you look quite stunning in that photo and very much like a movie star.

I hope everything else in your life is going okay...xoxo.

Stevia said...

such lovely bracelet!
and life changes but I believe all changes are for the better :)

<3
http://escapesweetest.blogspot.com/

Chrisy said...

Those qualities are still there dearest....I have no doubt of that...but our priorities change from moment to moment...everything does...and you're becoming wiser every day. It'll be interesting for you to reread this post in four years time...you'll marvel at the strength that you possessed...how you coped and kept going...you'll marvel at the qualities that you had in 2011...take care dear girl...my love to you...

www.janetteria.com said...

Cute!

jess said...

Its a great story.

Paola Alberdi said...

cuuute bracelet!!!

--paola
www.thefashlight.com